Thursday, June 14, 2012

Happy Army Birthday!

Happy Army Birthday! Today is the US Army's 237th birthday, and the entire base is celebrating, with songs about cassons, a four day weekend for everyone in uniform (not me), and some surprisingly good steaks and shrimp for lunch. Also, the cafeteria took down it's nutrition facts signs, freeing us for one day from the prison of knowing how much sodium is in the tortilla soup. So far, the Public Health command is averaging about two barbecues, long potluck lunches, or outdoor safety fairs per week. I like it here.

Last weekend I went to Saarbruken with my Peruvian amigo Fritz and his German lady friend. Even though I was a third wheel, we still rented bikes (and not tricycles) and cruised along the river.

 

It's the Euro cup right now, so everyone gets all excited whenever Germany plays. I haven't managed to keep track of the schedule very well, but every so often I'm surprised by a party happening downstairs.

The Euro Cup logo is cute...almost as cute as this.
This weekend I'm headed to Paris to hang out with my ninja Steven, with whom I will go gorillas. In case you are curious, I would be Kanye because I am more likely to wear pretentious sunglasses and be mean to Taylor Swift. Steve is Jay Z because he's scarier and has more street cred from that one time in Trujillo. Also, LeBron would probably like him more, just because Steve gets along with everybody.


1 comment:

  1. Love the blog--just catching up because I've spent the last three days in Jordan and in airports. Israel was much more fun! Glad to hear that you are traveling incognito to Paris to meet up with Steven.
    Much love,
    mom

    ReplyDelete